Last week was a very troubled week for our nation when, after just 45 days, we saw another Prime Minister resign. At the time of writing, it is expected that we will have a new Prime Minister within the next day or so!
In many respects, all of these changes remind me of the verse in Mark 3:25: ‘a house divided against itself cannot stand.’ This verse speaks very clearly that success can only come by having a spirit of unity (this is also expressed in Psalm 133.) It would be so easy for all of us as Christians to spend our time debating the big ‘HOW’. How did we get in this situation? But I believe it is better to unite in prayer for the following:
- For calm in this chaotic situation.
- For unity. Pray for the right person to bring unity in the party and the country — that they would have a real heart to serve the people of the nation rather than to fulfil their own personal ambitions.
- For mobilisation. Pray for the church to rise up and mobilise herself to do what 1 Timothy 2:1 urges us to do: ‘I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.’
- For wisdom. Pray for wisdom for our governments as they discuss and debate what happens next —that they choose responses which are inspired by God and not necessarily their own intuition.
- For peace. Pray through scriptures such as Philippians 4:6: ‘Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.’
Let us always go to God’s Word for our answers. His Word (John 1:5) says that the darkness in the world will get darker, but that darkness will never extinguish light. In fact, it says that light (His light) will continue to shine brighter, and the darkness CANNOT overcome it. That is where we get our strength and hope.
So let’s intentionally pray with passion for our great nation. Pray that God’s in-extinguishable light will shine ever brighter in the middle of the darkness that we see and the chaotic season that we find ourselves in.